BOB: Business Objects Board
Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP

Register | Login 

Launch Works 
Launch Works (Opens a new window)  

General Notice: Upcoming Events: BONYMAUG: May 14, BI2014 Nice, France: May 21.

Best practice of Datamart design for Business Objects

Search this topic... | Search Semantic Layer / Universe Designer... | Search Box
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
sbhusan
Principal Member
Principal Member

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:08 am 
Post subject: Best practice of Datamart design for Business Objects

Hi,
Our Architects are busy finalizing a corporate DW and Business Objects will be the only tool to be used for reporting. As a Universe designer i am being asked for my inputs with respect to Business Objects so that the same can be considered in the designing of the CDW. As of now the reporting requirements is not known but its sure that the Universe will be meant for adhoc querying by the users. I know that the Universe designing is purely requirement driven but if there is any best practice for a DW/Datamart design which is Business Objects specific so that any BO limitations can be taken care in the DW design will be a great help.

Thanks,
Sbhusan
Dwayne Hoffpauir
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

ASUG Icon
medal_gold.gif*2speaker.gif*5medal_bronze.gif

flag
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 am 
Post subject: Re: Best practice of Datamart design for Business Objects

Yikes ... finalizing a data warehouse design with no insight as to reporting requirements sounds risky to me. Given that constraint, I think the best you can offer is that they stick to "academic" data warehousing concepts (Kimball, Inmon, etc.). Things like fact tables, conformed dimensions, slowly changing dimensions, degenerate dimensions, surrogate keys, etc. are all well-supported by and well-suited for the BusObj universe concept.
Register or Login to Post    Forum Index -> Semantic Layer / Universe Designer  Previous TopicPrint TopicNext Topic
Page 1 of 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Jump to:  

Index | About | FAQ | RAG | Privacy | Search |  Register |  Login 

Get community updates via Twitter:

Not endorsed by or affiliated with SAP